« Home | Happy Easter 2008 » | Valentine's Day » | Happy New Year 2008 » | T'was the night before Christmas » | Make Christmas Simple » | A new member of Technorati » | Technorati » | Celebrating 50 Years of Nationhood » | Happy Mother's Day » | Knock Knock I am Back » 

Saturday, April 19, 2008 

Age Gracefully - Stay forever young

At my age, while many women sail blissfully through menopause, others do notice changes to their skins, including loss of moisture, skin thickness, collagen and elastin, all associated with falling levels of oestrogen. For me, I still maintained a lustre skin texture and it is all attributed from using lots of body moisturizers from my teenage days till now. The most obvious body changes that I feel are pain in the joints especially at my knee areas. It’s most painful every time I got up from sitting down too long. The pain is agonizing!

Another change is my sleeping pattern, which is always short. Early in the evening, sleepiness creeps into me and when the moment I jumped into bed, my eyelids will be wide opened. By the time sleeping beauty is about to have her sweet dream, the clock is already screaming waking her up!

These are age-related symptoms and diseases and it’s not all down to genes and good luck. It’s the real thing happening to our body at every stage as we mature. Most women at my age are already suffering from all kinds of sickness like breast-cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis and heart attack.

I have ever felt my heart seemed to miss a beat and chest felt so compressed that I am lost for breath. From my recent medical check up, I was diagnosed as having a heart disease and I must take extra care of my heart to avoid cardiovascular disease. I must try to reduce stress, not smoking, eliminating high-fat foods, increasing intake of anti-oxidant-rich fruit and vegetables, getting my blood pressure checked regularly and exercising 45 minutes at least three or four times a week.

Now, honestly speaking, I lack most of what I am supposed to be extra careful about. I am a casual smoker and beer is my favorite drink. I hardly exercise since the arrival of my first grandchild and that was way back to year 2003. However, I managed my stress level well and have been consuming anti-oxidants supplements regularly. As from now on, I got to cut down on my cigarette sticks and as an alternative to beer, choose red-wine which has a range of powerful anti-oxidants. Also, I got to let go of my favorite fast meals from KFC and McDonalds! Duoh!

Nevertheless, I love the harmony in my life at this age. The balance I feel is spiritually, occupationally and healthwise (so to say!). I am enjoying a greater freedom from financial worries and the demands of young children. The best thing about being my age is that I’ve created a happy family. I feel secure, I feel loved and I have a busy, happy life.

~ God makes our lives a medley of joy and tears, hope and help, love and encouragement. ~

Labels:

About me

  • I'm PurpleChocolate
  • From Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
  • A Mirian, mother, grandmother and career woman. Enjoy an ideal and simple lifestyle complete with tastefully good home and beautiful family. To R&R, I like socializing and clubbing with down-to-earth friends. Good company is an aroma in everyday life!
My profile